Friday 12 December 2014

Baked apples stuffed with gluten free granola


A couple of weeks ago, I received a package from JK Gourmet, a canadian company making all-natural, preservative-free, whole-foods baked goods.  In the package, I found a super delicious Almond and Black Currant Chocolate.  I was amazed at how a honey-sweetened chocolate could taste so good!  There was also a bag of sesame bites (that they call GG Bites).  Those bites were so light (read: non-sticky), crispy and flavourful, we ate them all within 36 hours!  Finally, the package also contained a bag of Apple, Spice and Raisin Granola.  Now, I have to admit, here, that I've never been a fan of granola.  So I immediatly thought of creating a recipe with it.  (I almost had to plea with my husband to leave me some for the recipe.)  And I thought baked apples would be a great way to honor this very good quality granola.  Hope you enjoy!



Yields: 4 baked apples

- 4 large Cortland apples
- 3 tbsp dairy free margarine
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup JK Gourmet Apple, Spice and Raisin granola
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- ¾ cup (180ml) natural apple juice


Preheat oven at 350F (180C).

Cut out the cores of the apples, using a sharp knife or an apple corer, leaving intact the bottom.

In a bowl, mix together the margarine, the coconut sugar, the maple syrup and the lemon juice. Stir to combine.

Add the granola, the allspice and the ginger powder and mix well with a fork.  Stuff the apples with the mixture, pushing down well with a spoon.  

Place apples in a baking dish and pour apple juice in the dish.  Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes, until apples are tender (but not mushy).  Remove from oven and spoon some of the apple juice over them. Serve warm.




Have you tried this recipe? Please share your thoughts with us and our readers!




No comments:

Post a Comment